The next day of our trip was another very busy one. After checking out of our hotel we met up with Brian and Moria for brunch at a place not far from where we were staying. Moria and I were able to sneak away from the boys for a little bit and do a little shopping before walking over to the John Hancock tower.
We didn't have to walk to far to the tower and there were lots of cool buildings along the way. I liked that there was this short old church next to all these newer skyscrapers.
At first we were going to head up to the observatory for a view of the city. Right before buying our $15 tickets Moria remembered a little tidbit she'd heard from someone else in her lab. If you opt to go to the Sky Lounge you can get to go a few stories higher, sit next to a window, and wander around to other windows at your leisure for pictures for only the cost of a drink. We wouldn't normally spend that much on a single drink but it felt like a good deal considering the price of the tickets!
We didn't have to walk to far to the tower and there were lots of cool buildings along the way. I liked that there was this short old church next to all these newer skyscrapers.
At first we were going to head up to the observatory for a view of the city. Right before buying our $15 tickets Moria remembered a little tidbit she'd heard from someone else in her lab. If you opt to go to the Sky Lounge you can get to go a few stories higher, sit next to a window, and wander around to other windows at your leisure for pictures for only the cost of a drink. We wouldn't normally spend that much on a single drink but it felt like a good deal considering the price of the tickets!
The guy's made fun of us for it but I think they were just jealous that there were no windows in the men's restroom.
Finally it was time to hit the road and head back to Midland. Luckily Brian and Moria were coming with us so the trip was much more enjoyable. We stopped in Kalamazoo, MI to try some beer at Bell's brewery and eat dinner. We ordered a couple of flights so we could taste a variety. The flights came on these trays in the shape of Michigan and the UP (upper peninsula). Since Brian is the only one who has never lived in Michigan we wouldn't let him be in the picture.
| Michiganers only! |
The following day we took Brian and Moria to Dow Gardens to show them the butterfly exhibit. My memory card was full so I didn't get many pictures there but I think the exhibit will be better in April when they get more butterflies in. It was finally time to head down to Ann Arbor where we would be delivering Brian and Moria to Moria's grandparents. Luckily we had some time for Moria to show us around Ann Arbor first.
She told us about these fairy doors that can be found in many of the businesses in the downtown area. We found one and it was fantastic. People often go around trying to find all of the fairy doors as a quest. This one was fancy and had an actual house with furniture and everything!
We walked around the University of Michigan campus and Moria took us to a shop and bought me this fantastic puzzle ring. It is something her Mom, sister, and other family members have shared and I felt privileged to get to have a ring as well. I forgot to get pictures of our rings so I don't have a photo. I haven't tackled the puzzle yet because I'm afraid I won't be able to put it back together. I figured I'd enjoy it for a little bit first!
Once we'd eaten dinner at one of Moria's favorite restaurants, Seva, we had to drop those two off. We did get to meet the grandparents which was really fun. It was also fun looking at young pictures of Moria and her family. It's fun getting a glimpse of your friends as kids! The whole weekend was fantastic and we were very sad to say goodbye. I failed at getting a group shot which I am so mad about. (I forgot with Sarah and Jonathan too...I really need to work on that!)

No comments:
Post a Comment