Friday, August 13, 2010

Chemistry Summer Olympics

Every summer the Chemistry department at Stanford hosts 4 summer bbq's hosted by different labs in the department. Kevin used to be on the SAC (Student Activities Committee) so he's helped in the past quite a bit. This year his lab was set to host on of them. Rather than throw a typical bbq the Boxer lab decided to create the first ever Chemistry Summer Olympics.

Kevin sent out the email and here is an excerpt I found entertaining... "It will be an evening of grueling competition to encourage some new department records, and build a peaceful and better department through sport. There will be four events including volleyball, cornhole, and croquet. The fourth event will remain a mystery until the day of the games in order to showcase athletic ability in a foreign activity."

Here is one of the pictures they used for advertising the event.
Luckily I had the day off and was able to help out. Kevin and I went shopping at Costco in the morning and we helped get things set up. A guy in Kevin's lab, Brett, was really into the event and helped create an awesome obstacle course for the mystery event.

We had a fantastic turnout for the event and I was impressed with how late a lot of people stayed. (Usually people grab their free food and then either head back to work or have other plans off campus)With the Olympics going on I ended up on the grill for a good portion of the evening but I didn't really mind. I got to talk to a lot of people and never had to be there alone with a hungry line of people waiting for their food. (It is amazing how impatient and particular some people are about their free dinner). Luke and I teamed up for awhile and we had a good time.
Kevin with James right after beating the tar out of him wrestling. I don't think James knew what he was getting himself into.

I didn't get to officially compete in the games since there were already lots of grad students involved, but I did get to go up against Kevin in the obstacle course. I was keeping up pretty well until the end when we had to throw a Frisbee and knock a flask off of a pole.The winners of the first Chemistry Summer Olympics... The DuBois Lab.
Kevin and Brett looking over the results of the competition.
We are really hoping that the Olympics become a tradition every year since we had an amazing time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome post! Looks like a great time!