Friday, October 15, 2010

Weekend with Chuck

Since my Dad hadn't been to Napa in about 30 years, we thought it would be good to head up and do a little wine tasting and enjoy some of the gorgeous scenery. First we stopped at Mumm to try a few sparkling wines.
It was a little warm outside, but with the misters and shade we were able to enjoy our tasting outdoors.
Dad and Kevin tried a few grapes on the vine and I caught them in the act.
We quickly stopped by a small winery before heading over to Rutherford Hill Winery. Kevin and I have been here several times and we were excited to take Dad and do a tour. Rutherford Hill was one of the first wineries in Napa to utilize caves to age the wine in and they make the tour a little more interesting...not to mention a little cooler.

After our tour we ate our picnic lunch at one of the tables overlooking the valley. It was a beautiful afternoon and we had a wonderful time.
We were happy to get home after a long day and were able to hang out and watch a movie. It is fun going to do stuff, but it is also nice just relaxing with people you love.

The next day Kevin had to go into work for a little bit so Dad and I headed over to Avery Aquatic Center on campus to get in a workout. Stanford's pool is one of the largest facilities in the nation and I thought it would be fun to go. Kevin had been in the facility a few times, but I had never been there in our 4 years out here. I quickly realized I'm not in swimmers shape, but I ended up getting a decent workout in and I know Dad did too.

I forgot to bring the camera with us, but later on we had Kevin take a picture of us outside.

Dad and I went home for a little while before heading back into campus to tour the place a little more. Kevin met up with us at one point and we wandered over to Hoover tower to get a better view. I liked this picture of the guys heading towards the tower.
Pictures from up top never turn out that great, but I had to include one anyway.

Kevin and Dad in part of the Main Quad.
We were a little thirsty from the heat and we managed to find a water fountain in an open building.Then we found a much fancier water fountain (the water wasn't nearly as cold though.)
Praying outside of Memorial Church in the Quad.

I had to take Chuck to see Lake Lagunita. It is so beautiful this time of year don't you think?

For Dad's last night in town we thought we'd go out for sushi. We ordered a few different things...some without the raw fish, but Dad seemed to enjoy all of it. We left with full bellies and had a great evening. I was so proud of him for trying something new (I didn't even have to convince him to try it...he was willing and excited!)
The time was too short and I knew it would be, but I couldn't have asked for a better weekend. It is always great having people visit and having Dad here was especially exciting since he hadn't been out here yet.

1 comment:

Wagner said...

So glad you had a good weekend. He mentioned to me that he was coming out when I saw him this summer and I could tell how excited he was!
Janell