Saturday, December 4, 2010

Run Wild For a Child

Last Sunday we headed up to San Francisco with Brian and Moria so we could all participate in the 26th annual Run For a Child road race supporting the S.F. Firefighters Toy Program. It was a much colder morning than our previous run and it made waking up to head up to the city a little difficult.

Thanks Brian and Moria for finding this race! (Notice Kevin in the background of this picture. This is one of his favorite things to do....especially to strangers).

We talked our friend Jason into running with us in the race too. The race was held in Golden Gate Park and he is currently in the process of moving about 4 blocks from there so he was able to bring a car load of stuff up with him. Jason does a lot of running, hiking, and rock climbing and I'd assumed he had run in lots of road races (especially because a close friend of his runs in them a lot), but this was his first 5k. Jason ended up finishing 16th overall and and 4th in his age group!

Since I ran the previous two runs in 24:44 I was really hoping to get closer to 24:00. Even though I didn't feel that great, especially the third mile, I figured I hadn't improved. I forgot my watch so I really had no idea how I was doing. My chip time for the run though ended up being 24:08 and I finished 7th in my age group so I was pretty pleased with the improvement. I guess if I want to improve much more I'm going to have be more diligent about training.

Kevin shaved another 10 seconds off of his time and finished 13th in his age group.
Not the best group shot with the shadows but a group shot still.

It was a blast doing the run together, but by the time we finally got home I was exhausted. Between working, getting ready for Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving, getting ready for a tailgate, the tailgate, and football I was just spent. It seemed appropriate to take a 3 hour nap and it was incredible. I rarely take naps and I almost forgot how amazing they can be when you really need one. After waking up I even managed to get the Christmas tree and most of the decorations up.

No comments: