Saturday, January 22, 2011

Holidays in Kansas

It feels strange reflecting back to nearly a month ago for this post so I don't know how detailed it is going to be until I get going. Either way it will feel good to have this post completed so I can move on to the activities of the new year. Here we go...

We were so fortunate this year that it worked out for us to be home for Christmas and New Years. Originally I was supposed to work the week in between and I wasn't going to be able to arrive in Kansas until New Years Day. Luckily someone from my work canceled their vacation and I was able to take advantage and get vacation time. We took a red eye and left at midnight on Christmas Day. We had a short layover but managed to avoid the poor weather that the east coast was having and made it to K.C. Christmas morning. That flight is exhausting because you can never really sleep that well on the plane but it was worth it to be able to see both of our families that day.

We did manage to sneak in a nap before we had to try and be lucid and social with anyone. That afternoon we spent having lunch, opening gifts, and playing games with Kevin's family. All of us were able to be there including Joe who is living in Austin now and Thomas and Serena who are in Emporia. There aren't really words to describe how wonderful it was to have us all together.

Dinner time.
Kevin and his Momma.

After a few rounds of guesstures and catch phrase it was time for us to head over to my parents house. At that point I was really excited to surprise Hailie and Seth. When we rang the doorbell Hailie ran to the door to open it and exclaimed "You're here?!?!". We couldn't see Seth's face at first but my Dad said he sort of just stood there with his mouth hanging open. Keeping the secret of our arrival was difficult but definitely worth it.

After opening gifts, visiting, and eating we took a little time to play with some of the new stuff including the kids' Wii. It was fun watching even mom and dad get into a few of the games.


The beginning of our week involved hanging out with all the dogs and each other. Kevin has been really wanting a dog lately so I know he enjoyed wrestling around with all of them. We finally were able to do a family picture with Kevin's family (we'd been trying to accomplish this for over a year). We watched movies and just really enjoyed each others company.

Here he is Kevin with James' dog Dallas.

A little time out at the farm with Grandad and Grandmom.
Many games were played during our week back. One of my personal favorites was a game called Quelf. It basically has you doing a bunch of stupid stuff throughout the entire game. At one point I had to lie on the floor, play dead, and yell "You thwarted me again you vile beast" anytime someone passed me on the board. Kevin had to take down his Mom is a round of rock, paper, scissors.


Joe had to make a robot mask and where is for two turns without telling anyone why he was doing it. I don't know if it resonates well in the photo, but he was not happy about the numerous pictures I kept taking of him. Kevin, his brothers, and his Dad competed in the Olympics on the X box kinect for hours on end the entire week. I think they stayed up until after 2am competing on more than one occasion. Since the game is based on movement they definitely got a good workout in. They were drenched in sweat after their marathon sessions.


Hailie and Seth were on winter break and I loved that they didn't have to go to school every day and worry about homework every night while we were back. Hailie was really clingy to me this trip and I can't say that it bothered me. I love all her kisses and hugs.
Seth loved having Kevin to wrestle and rough house with. Kevin is strong enough to manage that kid even though he is getting bigger and stronger every time I see him.

Mom, Hailie, and I were able to get a little girl time in and went shopping and also just enjoyed hanging out. We pulled out our marble/aggravation game and took on the boys again. Unlike last time, the women were victorious and we took home the win.



I managed to get my girls together again this trip and I was very happy about that. We went out to dinner and had a great time catching up as always. Kara told us only a few weeks before she is expecting her first baby and due in June and I loved being able to see her and hear about how things are going so far. We had to get a picture of us listening for the baby since we did this with Heather when she was pregnant with her daughter.

Our gift to my Mom was for us to work on the office room downstairs in the basement. I had started a painting project down there almost a year ago and never finished. We were able to get all of the painting done, the room cleared out and the computer area arranged and organized.


Even the kids got in on the painting.

I watched some of the K-State bowl game with my Dad and few of his work friends. Despite the loss on less than ideal terms it was still fun being able to spend time together.
We celebrated James' 29th birthday with delicious Mexican food, cake, and games.


Kevin celebrated New Year's with his brothers and while I wanted to spend time with them I decided to stay in and just hang out with my family instead. We watched an adorable movie "How to Train Your Dragon" which I loved and cuddled with a fire in the stove. It was so cold that night and the thought of leaving just didn't appeal to me.

On New Year's Day we were able to see the Copp side of the family out at the farm for lunch as well as Kevin's Grandma and Grandpa Kent for dinner. The trip was incredible and like usual it flew by much to quickly. While we saw a lot of people there is never enough time to see everyone that we would like. If only we could slow time down for a bit during vacations...that would be nice.

We are getting back to our routine here in California but we are definitely looking forward to our next trip to Kansas.


No comments: