Tuesday, February 1, 2011

January Stuff

January has come and gone already which is sort of hard to believe. While we've been busy this month it hasn't been with anything really that exciting. I haven't been traveling with my camera much so the few remotely blog worthy events have gone without any photos. February definitely promises to be more interesting but I thought I'd at least take a minute to talk about some of the things going on in our lives right now.

Kevin is in the process of starting to wind things down with his research marking the beginning of the end of our time here at Stanford. This doesn't mean he's any less busy with his work but the tone is different now that he comes closer to finishing up his doctorate. A few of our friends have already accepted jobs and are in the process of working on their thesis and plan to be done at Stanford sometime this summer. Others, including Kevin, are in the process of looking and applying for jobs and/or post docs so they can begin the next chapter. It is all very exciting but sort of sad too. I can't help but feel a sense of finality to things we do. I know our group of friends is going to quickly begin to dwindle as people begin to depart in different directions.

It is also scary knowing that things are about to change drastically, but no clear idea on exactly how. Where will we be? What will Kevin be doing? What will I be doing? How close will we be to family? How close will our friends be? The questions are endless. I know they will all be answered in time and I just have to be patient.

Besides worrying about our future we are currently planning a party for our 5 year anniversary. We wanted to do something fun and we figured since nobody from Stanford was at our wedding we might as well use our anniversary as an excuse to throw a party and share something special with our friends out here. Moria was able to reserve us a room on campus to have the party (free!!!), we are borrowing some speakers to hook up to our computer for music, and Sarah offered to make a cake. A few decorations, snacks and drinks and we are set for a party! I'm updating the slide show that Patti made for our rehearsal dinner...adding new pictures from the last five years and I'm pulling out a few other odds and ends from our wedding. It has been fun going through stuff and I'm glad a few things will be put to use a second time.

The week after our party we are heading on a trip and I'm really looking forward to it. We love going home and visiting family but we don't actually spend much time together during those trips. It is completely understandable since we want to get time in with people we only see a few times a year...but I'm still really excited to have a week with just my hubby.

I promise the next post will have pictures and hopefully it will be soon!

No comments: