Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Weekend with Amy

This last weekend was wonderful since Amy was able to visit from Phoenix. We've been planning this trip for such a long time and finally it was here! Amy flew in early Thursday morning. We went to breakfast and I then gave her a tour of Stanford campus. Here we are by the fountain outside the bookstore.
Once I'd shown Amy around town we grabbed lunch and went shopping for stuff for dinner. We had Brian, Moria, and Sarah over for kebabs. I loved introducing Amy to some of my friends here.

That night it was finally time for Harry Potter 6! We sort of planned this trip around the premiere of HP, but unfortunately after Amy had bought her tickets they changed the release date to two nights earlier. We were so mad when we first found out, but since there was nothing we could do we made the best of it and pretended that this was the midnight showing.
On Friday we headed up to San Francisco. Amy hadn't been there since she was 10 so I was excited to show her around. Naturally we did the Golden Gate Bridge photo op. It was really pretty with the fog starting to roll in. Luckily we were still able to see it though.
After a seafood lunch, fisherman's wharf, and some shopping at Union Square we headed back for a nap before going out dancing. We are getting to the age where we need a recharge before heading out on the town! :)

Amy, me , and Moria ready to head to Molly MaGee's!

Kevin and I had been out to this Irish Pub once before and had a blast and we were anxious to check it out again. I think many were skeptical thinking that an Irish Pub couldn't possibly be any good for dancing. They were wrong!!! We had a blast and I love that it is in Downtown Mountain View! She got to meet more of my friends and we had an awesome time.Saturday we slept in a bit and then headed out to Santa Cruz for a beach day! We needed a relaxing girls day.
Unfortunately the water here is ridiculously cold so we didn't really do much swimming. I did manage to get a bit of a sunburn on my stomach though. I put on sunscreen and reapplied and everything. I guess my tummy doesn't see that much of the sun and it didn't like it :(

On Sunday we went for a day trip to Napa Valley for some wine tasting. There are so many wineries to choose from, but through recommendations from friends and online searches I managed to narrow it down to 3 to try.

First we headed to Mumm winery to check out some of their sparkling wine. My friends Jonathan and Conrad really like this place and I wanted to see it for myself. We did our tasting outside and the view was spectacular! I love Napa Valley!
I liked the winery a lot and wouldn't mind heading back. Kevin was great and agreed to be our driver for the day. He even dressed in dark pants and a white shirt. He wanted to buy a hat to fit the part but didn't get around to it.
He did get to taste some wines though so he didn't feel completely left out.
The second winery we went to was Rutherford Hill Winery. I really really liked this place. We ended up buying a bottle of port which I don't normally even like and became a member of their wine club. They are going to send us 2 bottles 4 times a year from their red wine collections and we get a great discount. Also, we get complimentary tastings and tours so if you ever come out and want to check out some caves let us know!!

Finally we headed to V. sattui. This place was really neat and had a deli. You can only get the wine there so it was fun to try something you can't get at the stores. The coolest part of this place was the person we saw there. If you look behind us in the picture you an see Jared from the Subway commercials! We went for the sly picture approach rather than bugging him. He looks thin in real life too!


Overall it was a wonderful and beautiful day in Napa. While warm, it was still much cooler for Amy than the Phoenix heat and I think she appreciated the cooldown! It was a great weekend and it went by so fast. The only thing that I missed this weekend was my cousin Steven's wedding! Amy and I had already made plans... but I heard the wedding was beautiful and the reception was fun. Congrats to Steven and Melissa!
We are already talking about when Kevin and I can both head down to Phoenix for a visit. Definitely not during the summer though. I don't want to leave perfect weather here for a 110 degrees even if there is no humidity!

No comments: