Monday, October 12, 2009

Weekend in Reno

This last weekend was a road trip to Reno! We left early Friday evening and dealt with a little of the infamous Bay Area Traffic. After stopping for dinner in Davis, CA, we made it to Reno a little before 11pm.

Now none of us our major gamblers or anything so we mostly just hung out around the slot machines and played penny slots for awhile. Kevin was down about $7 and I was down about $10 when I won a bonus round and won $40! We only played a little bit longer and then called it a night while we were ahead.

Kevin and Jonathan enjoying the slots!




On Saturday we headed back into California to check out Lake Tahoe. I had never seen it before and Kevin only once before. It was so beautiful! The water is amazingly clear and the weather was perfect!



Me and Sarah chillin' by the lake.


A gorgeous view.





After enjoying the outdoors for awhile we headed back to our hotel. We decided to play cards in our room for awhile where you don't risk losing any money. Here we are playing Euchre....a card game Jonathan taught us.



Here we are in are almost identical shirts. I guess great minds think alike :)


That night Sarah and I stuck to the slots some more and spent a few dollars on the entertainment. The boys tried their luck at some Blackjack and had a blast playing. They only played with $5 bets and Kevin left with what he put in to start with. It was a really fun night...but we were still amazed by the people putting down $500+ per bet. I guess bigger risk...bigger rewards...but that much money is just CRAZY!!!

On Sunday Sarah was wanting to stop by this Animal Sanctuary she read about online. Our GPS was broken so we didn't know exactly where to go but we heard about a zoo just north of Reno.

Here is the sign advertising the zoo. Let's just say it made the 'World Famous Topeka Zoo' look World Famous.



The first animals we saw after entering were some domestic cats, a couple rabbits, and some turtles. Naturally we were a bit pessimistic. They ended up having quite a few interesting animals including a White Tiger, Camels, Lions, Patas and Vervet Monkeys (baby monkeys too!), Baboons (another baby as well), a Bobcat, Zebras, a Black Leopard, MaCaws, and a few other interesting animals. They also had a petting zoo and we enjoyed getting friendly with the goats. It wasn't the best zoo by far, but I guess it could always be worse. The zookeepers seemed to love the animals.

Here is my favorite goat.


Overall the trip was a blast. Next we are thinking a trip to Vegas + Grand Canyon. I think it is good to add something outdoors to city trip in order to keep some sanity.

No comments: