Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Amy's Visit and Wake Forest

Last weekend I was lucky enough to have Amy in town for a visit. I picked her up late Thursday afternoon and she stayed until Sunday. First thing we grabbed something to eat in downtown Mountain View so we could have a chance to talk and catch up. We talk on the phone...but there is nothing like chatting with a great friend in person.

On Friday we go up to go do a hike at Rancho San Antonio. Kevin and I have been there a few times and I thought Amy would like it. We got a very nice workout in and were able to enjoy the mild weather which Amy is definitely not used to from Phoenix this time of year.

We stopped to check out the petting zoo on the way out.
We did a little shopping and later Sarah and Jonathan came over. Sarah had met Amy briefly the the last time, but then she and Jonathan were gone for the rest of Amy's visit. It was nice being able to introduce friends to each other.

The main event during Amy's visit was the Stanford football game. Since we are running the Chemistry Dept tailgates this year Amy came along to give us a hand.

James and Kevin with a former graduate student Chad. Chad originally started the tailgates about 7 years ago. I was glad he could make it and see that we've helped keep the tradition he started going.
Since Stanford was playing Wake Forest it was a little difficult to find any fans from their team to beat in our usual Flip Cup competition. We found a group of people that looked like they were up for the challenge.

Kevin, Dennis, and I always play standing next to each other since it seems to work for us. At one point we switched up the order of the three of us so that I was across from a young man that seemed to have a problem with being across from a woman. He began talking trash and when we won again and he still talked trash I challenged him to a little one on one action. We went head to head with 5 cups each and then I beat him. He was clearly not happy with the results.

My expression here is.... "this guy actually thought he could beat me" and I like to think that his is the sour taste of defeat.

A few of us celebrating our win.

There was a great student turnout for this game since it was the first game that the undergraduate students and first year graduate students were present.
A random Stanford fan. I thought he looked a little crazy so I had to take a picture.
Go Stanford!

We felt like it was a great tailgate and a great game. This win gave Stanford their third win in a row. It was especially nice to slaughter the Deacon Demons since they handed us our first loss last year.

For this game the band unveiled a new mascot. We aren't sure if it is a permanent thing or a one time only deal. Either way I think it is still pretty bad. I did a side by side so you can be the judge.
Kevin with random guy wearing a red spandex body suit.
Sunday morning Amy and I went out for brunch and then to Shoreline Lake to sit and talk a little more before she had to head back to Phoenix. I had a wonderful weekend with her and I hope she enjoyed it just as much.

No comments: