Football season is finally here and that means we are going to be busy this fall. Kevin and I (along with the help of our friend Dennis) are in charge of the graduate chemistry tailgates for the year. We've been mentally getting ready to take on this task for quite some time and it was exciting for the first game to finally be here.
I was wanting to make something special for the first game so I decided to make helmet and football shaped cookies. I spread out the stages over the week so it wouldn't be so overwhelming and Moria came over one day last week to help me decorate them. I was very grateful for the help.

Here is a picture of the final product.

I was very happy with how they turned out. I love excuses to make themed cookies. Plus when I make them for an event Kevin and I aren't stuck with a bunch of cookies to eat.

Lupin wanted to get in on the action.

Our awesome tailgate spot. This picture was taken early on so there weren't many people there yet. I was actually surprised with the number of people who came out to watch Stanford against Sacramento State on Labor Day weekend.

Daryl, Dennis, Chris, Kevin, and Scott. It was our friend Chris' last day at Stanford before heading back to New York. Luckily we'll see him next month when he returns for a wedding.

I finally broke out my new shirt (Thanks Patti!).

Miguel is a post-doc in Kevin's lab and is from Germany. He brought his friend Francesca who is from Italy. Neither of them had even been to an American tailgate and we were very excited to show them a good time. They beat us in beer pong (Kevin and I aren't very good) but I was able to beat Miguel in one on one flip cup later on.

Kevin on the grill.

After beating Miguel in flip cup.

As you may remember from last year we try to find fans from the opposing team to take on in flip cup. Sac State fans were a little slim for the picking, but we were able to find some older gentlemen to play us.

We had to teach them how to play, but I think they had a really good time. They were really good sports and they took getting annihilated pretty well.

Overall I think our first tailgate was a success. Stanford also beat the tar out of the hornets so it wasn't a bad day for them either. My friend Amy will be in town for the next home game and I'm really looking forward to that...stay tuned!
No comments:
Post a Comment