Even though traveling to Kansas for a funeral isn't the most fun thing to go home for I still had a really nice trip. I was able to see several people that I hadn't seen in years and it was fantastic.
The most surprising visit occurred at my random layover in Charlotte, NC. (strange layovers for last minute flights). I was sitting near my gate toward the end of my 3 hour layover when I heard them calling a 'Ronald Ash' up to the gate. I'm sitting here thinking....'there is no way that is Dr Ash, my undergrad adviser and research mentor'. I heard the name again and was looking all around. Dr Ash was living in North Carolina, but in Raleigh. But what are the chances of someone from NC traveling to Kansas City. I continued to look around and then I saw him! He was traveling back for a retirement party for another professor at Washburn. It was wonderful to catch up both before and after the flight and I couldn't wipe the smile from my face.
Always fun to see the kiddos.
The most surprising visit occurred at my random layover in Charlotte, NC. (strange layovers for last minute flights). I was sitting near my gate toward the end of my 3 hour layover when I heard them calling a 'Ronald Ash' up to the gate. I'm sitting here thinking....'there is no way that is Dr Ash, my undergrad adviser and research mentor'. I heard the name again and was looking all around. Dr Ash was living in North Carolina, but in Raleigh. But what are the chances of someone from NC traveling to Kansas City. I continued to look around and then I saw him! He was traveling back for a retirement party for another professor at Washburn. It was wonderful to catch up both before and after the flight and I couldn't wipe the smile from my face.
| Couldn't pass up a photo op with Dr Ash! |
We weren't heading out to Scott City for the funeral until the next day so we were able to head out to the farm for Mother's Day. I haven't been back for Mother's day in forever and even though I didn't get to see my mom that day it was still great to be with family.
The drive to Western Kansas went quickly considering it is a fairly mundane drive. I felt a little sad heading out there knowing I probably won't be making that particular drive again. The one bright spot about funerals is seeing family that you don't see very often. After about 11 years I finally got to see my cousins Nathan and Molly. We used to see each other at least once a year but once we started graduating high school it just hasn't happened. We decided we can never let that much time pass again. It was so fun laughing and telling old stories from our childhood.
After returning to Topeka things were a little calmer. Mom and I had some time to do some gardening that needed to be done around the house which included some of my Grandmas Iris'. It was nice working outside sort of as a tribute to Grandma Koch. I know she'd be so happy to see us out there digging in the earth.
I also had a little time to see some family on the Kent side as well. I only got to see Kevin for a little bit but I had some quality time with Patti, Thomas, and Adell. Thomas was sweet enough to bring Adell over so I could see her (she's changed a ton since seeing her in January) and Serena and James were able to stop by later. We couldn't resist a photo with all the Kent girls!

No comments:
Post a Comment