I was on the fence about doing soccer with both Anna and Jane this fall but they really really really wanted to play on the same team. Since Bitty Sports are included with our YMCA membership we figured we'd go ahead a go for it.
I wasn't really wanting to coach again but when our team had no coach we felt like we had no choice so Kevin and I did it together.
Our team was pretty rough around the edges and it was pretty exhausting. We had 3 sets of siblings including Anna and Jane and most of the team was made up of 3 year olds which made for an interesting dynamic. Of the twins...the girl showed quite a bit of promise but her brother was constantly harassing her which kept us busy since the parents did not intervene that much. When the games started she was scared and refused to go out on the field and would cry. We weren't going to make her but her parents kept pushing and pushing her to go out there.
The set of brothers were actually pretty good but they liked the practice better than the games and would lose interest sometimes. Then there was the little girl with no siblings on her team...let's call her C. C was a sweetheart and actually could dribble pretty well but she was easily distracted and would often just run off the field. She like hugging us and Jane and Anna thought she was hilarious and would often be distracted by her. Her Dad was usually just looking at his phone and occasionally telling C to do something completely contrary to what we were saying or against the YMCA rules.
Anna did so much better even from the spring session and even scored a goal. Her short legs make it tough to keep up sometimes but she made contact with the ball and really seemed to enjoy herself although she like being silly with C just as much.
Jane did pretty well for a 3 year old. Much better than Anna did at her age but understandable considering she had a big sister there and has been to quite a few practices and games to watch Anna before. She didn't always know what was going on but she would run when we told her too and laughed and was happy. Overall a successful first soccer experience I think.
In the past we've done Saturday morning soccer but it was on a Thursday night this time around. I think it being in the evening after an entire day made it more difficult to keep the kids focused. But also, they are 3-5 year old kids so you can't expect too much.
Anna and Jane enjoyed being silly on the sidelines.
Participation medals after the last game.
We were missing the brothers in our team photo. (Sorry for the poor quality...I took a picture of the overpriced prints we purchased)
| The Ultimate Defenders/Grey Team |
They offered buddy shots and of course we couldn't resist since it was their first sport together.
Jane's first soccer season. She was so happy finally getting to play alongside her sister.
Anna's 3rd soccer season. She's improved so much from the first time and I'm amazed. Such a determined little thing!
When I was putting the photos away I found Anna's picture from last season earlier this year so I thought I'd throw it in this post.
Overall it was a positive experience but we've determined we don't want to coach again anytime soon. This age group is just so difficult and it will be fun to just be a spectator and help when needed rather than be responsible for the entire team!
No comments:
Post a Comment