Well...we made it to 31 weeks. Each week feels like a huge accomplishment at this point so we are pretty pleased. Still, we'll feel slightly better if I make it at least one more to 32 weeks.

On Monday we had our second appointment with the specialist down in Saginaw. The measurements they got for the placenta were slightly improved from the last visit. I mentioned previously that a number less than 4 is what they want and we were getting numbers between 3 and 3.7 (they take several readings along the cord at different distances from the placenta). Good news there. The measurements for the baby didn't leave us feeling quite as warm and fuzzy.
Baby K's head is still above the 50th percentile mark put was only around 70% compared to the 90% a couple weeks before. The abdomen measurement was concerning in that it was only reading at 5.8% compared to 10.9% previously. Her overall size is around the 20th percentile versus the 40th percentile previously. The doctor doesn't want to take action yet because they never base a decision off of one measurement. There is a certain amount of error built into ultrasound and the baby's positioning could be influencing some of the numbers (She is currently in frank breach position so her knees/legs are pressing in on the abdomen making things a little trickier).
My fluid levels were a little lower than last time. They're still in range but they definitely want to keep an eye on them. I will be going to the hospital in Midland on Monday for a fluid measurement and it seems like they'll have me go in there on the weeks that I don't have an ultrasound with the specialist so they can pick up any sudden drops. Our next appointment with the specialist is in two weeks.
It the meantime I'm still seeing my regular OB twice a week for the non-stress tests. They've all looked good so far but I can't help but be a little nervous each time I go in. If any given appointment doesn't look okay there is that possibility of having to go to the hospital for further monitoring and the potential for delivery. I try not to dwell on that too much but it is hard sometimes. My uterus measurements on Tuesday did look really good though. The doctor even double checked because she was happy with what she saw. She measured 30.5cm (only 0.5cm behind "ideal" and up from 28cm last week).
Besides baby stuff we've been lucky enough to have Brian and Moria in town this week. They are on their last week of traveling around before heading to New York to get settled in their new apartment and starting their post-docs at Cornell. It's been absolutely wonderful having them here. We watched the Stanford football game on Saturday, played a little Singstar karaoke for old times sake, and we've watched a few movies, and just enjoyed catching up.
On Monday we had our second appointment with the specialist down in Saginaw. The measurements they got for the placenta were slightly improved from the last visit. I mentioned previously that a number less than 4 is what they want and we were getting numbers between 3 and 3.7 (they take several readings along the cord at different distances from the placenta). Good news there. The measurements for the baby didn't leave us feeling quite as warm and fuzzy.
Baby K's head is still above the 50th percentile mark put was only around 70% compared to the 90% a couple weeks before. The abdomen measurement was concerning in that it was only reading at 5.8% compared to 10.9% previously. Her overall size is around the 20th percentile versus the 40th percentile previously. The doctor doesn't want to take action yet because they never base a decision off of one measurement. There is a certain amount of error built into ultrasound and the baby's positioning could be influencing some of the numbers (She is currently in frank breach position so her knees/legs are pressing in on the abdomen making things a little trickier).
My fluid levels were a little lower than last time. They're still in range but they definitely want to keep an eye on them. I will be going to the hospital in Midland on Monday for a fluid measurement and it seems like they'll have me go in there on the weeks that I don't have an ultrasound with the specialist so they can pick up any sudden drops. Our next appointment with the specialist is in two weeks.
It the meantime I'm still seeing my regular OB twice a week for the non-stress tests. They've all looked good so far but I can't help but be a little nervous each time I go in. If any given appointment doesn't look okay there is that possibility of having to go to the hospital for further monitoring and the potential for delivery. I try not to dwell on that too much but it is hard sometimes. My uterus measurements on Tuesday did look really good though. The doctor even double checked because she was happy with what she saw. She measured 30.5cm (only 0.5cm behind "ideal" and up from 28cm last week).
Besides baby stuff we've been lucky enough to have Brian and Moria in town this week. They are on their last week of traveling around before heading to New York to get settled in their new apartment and starting their post-docs at Cornell. It's been absolutely wonderful having them here. We watched the Stanford football game on Saturday, played a little Singstar karaoke for old times sake, and we've watched a few movies, and just enjoyed catching up.
Kevin, Brian, and Moria all raked the lawn on Sunday and plan to do it again on Saturday. I came home from one appointment to find Brian and Moria cleaning out our gutters which was pretty amazing. It needed done and since that would have fallen on Kevin I know he is incredibly grateful. They've also made dinner several times which has been delicious and kept me company during the day. Moria went with me to get a few things for my hospital bag and Brian is helping Kevin get a few things like curtain rods put up in the nursery. It's been a wonderful distraction having them here and I wish I had the right words to express how much it has meant to us to have their help this week.
They even built Lupin a playhouse one evening when we had a childbirth class so I know he's happy they are here!
Since I have so many appointments and each week is a big deal to us at this point I'm going to try and get a weekly update going as opposed to every other week. Thanks again for all the love and support over these last few difficult weeks. We're lucky to have such great family and friends during this time.

1 comment:
I have been watching for this update. I appreciate the details to get a full picture of what to pray for during these remaining weeks. How wonderful to have friends there to help you and Kevin with so many things!! Kara, you look great. Keep up the good work for baby K, and let God do the rest. Love, Aunt Sandy
Post a Comment