Sunday, September 30, 2012

Baby Update: 28 and 29 weeks

Sorry for the delay in this particular update. It's sort of been a tiring few days but no more waiting! I'm putting in quite a bit of detail (as much for us as everyone else) so hopefully it doesn't get too boring!

On Thursday morning Kevin and I made the drive to Saginaw to meet with the perinatologist in Maternal Fetal Medicine. The drive was nerve wracking to say the least and then we ended up waiting for a bit to be seen. I was first seen by a nurse and she did a very thorough ultrasound and took some time to explain the process in a little more detail than the regular ultrasound tech we've seen in the past. Afterward the doctor came in and talked with us some about what was going on before she proceeded to look at the baby some more. She took a few more measurements and also looked at how the placenta was functioning using fetal Doppler monitoring. Then she took even more time to go over everything with us and made recommendations for my follow up. We never felt rushed to get out and everyone there was so patient and would answer any question (even if we'd already asked it). Here is some of what we learned.

My fluid levels (measured in centimeters as an index) were still a bit on the low side but still within the acceptable range. Normal fluid ranges from 5-25cm. They had one reading at about 9.7cm and a second at around 11.5cm (its dynamic and constantly changing). We'd love to have the numbers be a bit higher but they aren't at a dangerous level right now.

The body measurements they took were a little more telling that something is going on. Baby K's head is doing very well and is at the 90 percentile (Kevin had a big head at birth so this wasn't too shocking to us). Her total weight is also looking very good. Everything else was right around the average mark until they got to the abdomen size. It is only measuring at the 10.9 percentile.  In a situation where the placenta is not doing everything it is supposed to do, the brain takes what it needs to grow and develop. The abdomen is sort of last in line which is what they were seeing with us. They did see her abdomen going through the breathing motion which was a really good sign so we were pleased with that.

For checking the placenta they used the Doppler to measure the resistance of blood flow from the placenta to the baby. Ideally you would have as little resistance as possible so they look for a number of less than 4 (I believe this is an index). The doctor took a couple readings. One of mine was 3.94 but another one was closer to 4.5. Basically, things aren't working at 100% but they are still working right now so the baby can stay in for the time being.

The specialist went ahead and sent us over to the hospital in Saginaw to do a non-stress test and get me started on a round of steroids just as a precaution. With the non-stress test they monitor the baby's heart beat for an extended period of time. You push a button whenever you feel movement and they see how the heart responds to those movements (usually a temporary increase is seen). Things looked great there. The shot wasn't the most pleasant part of my day but overall it wasn't too bad. I had to go into the hospital here in Midland the next day for the second shot and have another non-stress test done. One shot was in my thigh and the other in the butt. My opinion...butt was better.

Me most of the last week
 The steroid is just a precaution in the event that I do have to deliver soon and is meant to help the baby's lungs out. My next appointment with the specialist is a week from tomorrow where they'll do the ultrasound and Doppler monitoring again. As long as my numbers aren't getting any worse than they'll let Baby K keep going as long as possible. Usually 28 weeks is the first goal in similar situations but since we're already past that 32 weeks is our new magic number. The best would be to get to 37 weeks and then they may decide to go ahead and get her out depending on how things are looking. I'll also be going into my regular OB's office twice this week for two more non-stress tests.

Overall we are feeling pretty good about things right now. Just having more information and knowing what is going on makes moving forward a whole lot easier. We're not out of the woods by any means but we feel optimistic that we can get our little girl a little further along before she'll be joining us. I'm still on bed rest but the doctor lifted a few restrictions. I'm allowed on a few short walks a day as long as I'm resting afterward and not pushing it too hard. Getting outside has done wonders for my mood and makes the prospect of extended bed rest much more bearable. I will have to miss my trip to Kansas that was planned in October which I'm pretty bummed about but I know it is the best decision for both me and the baby.
Putting the finishing touches on the mobile we made for Baby K's room.
In all the craziness of last week I skipped my 28 week belly shot but I'm back on schedule now. 

Knowing that we might be delivering earlier than expected has made us feel a bit less ready in terms of the nursery and classes. I was able to move our childbirth classes up so we'll start on those next week. I've started on my hospital bag checklist so we can get that together soon just in case. There are still a few things we need to get before she gets here but we figured that the baby isn't going to care if the nursery is completely done. As long as she has a place to sleep, something to eat, and clothes to wear we'll be okay. And there is always Amazon so if we run into something we decide we can't live without it can be ordered and at our doorstep before we get home from the hospital.

I ordered some curtains last week and they should be here soon. Hopefully they'll look good with the rug that we got and help make the room feel a bit more cozy. My next goal for the room is finding a glider or rocker. I don't want to spend a fortune but I also want something comfortable so it is becoming a challenge. 


It's been a tough week and we appreciate all the support, prayers, and kind words we've received from family and friends. I know I wouldn't have survived without Kevin. He's taken on a lot with me being out of commission and at the same time he is there to pick me up when I'm feeling down. I had a mini meltdown last weekend at the thought of 2 months of bed rest but he pulled me right out. He went and got all of the supplies for our butterfly mobile and worked so hard to get it finished. I love him so very much and I look forward to seeing him hold our little girl in his arms. (As long as it isn't too soon).

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Wagner said...

Thanks for the update...we will continue praying!
Janell

Aunt Sandy said...

Thank you for the thorough explanation. Uncle Dale and I are praying for you, Kevin and your baby girl. You are on my heart so much. I know it is another time of totally trusting in our loving Father.

Anonymous said...

Cara and Kevin, We have been praying since the first report and we will keep praying until this little girl is here. We love you. Blessings, Aunt Kim