Thursday, November 8, 2012

Baby Update: 35 weeks

One more week completed! We met with the specialist again so I'll recap what we learned from that appointment. The Doppler measurements for my placenta function looked completely normal this week. All of the readings were under 3 meaning that my placenta is hanging in there...very good news. My fluid level was slightly higher between 8-9cm but still on the low side. The fact that it isn't decreasing is another plus for us.

Baby K's head (thanks to her Daddy) seems to be growing just fine. They have it in the 90th percentile right now. Our little girls abdomen, while it has grown, is on the very low end of the chart (< 3rd percentile). While not really a surprise at this point we are starting to see the growth level off. Overall she is around the 20th percentile and they are approximating her weight at this time to be just shy of 5 pounds.

The plan is for me to continue the monitoring I've been doing (non stress tests and checking my fluid level) and I'll be seen again by the specialist in two weeks. By then I'll be one day away from 37 weeks which is considered full term. Depending on how the ultrasound looks then they will have a decision to make. Is it better to let her stay for one or two more weeks or would she do better on the outside? I'd love to have an answer now but we must be patient and wait. Ideally we would love to go to 39 weeks. In talking with my doctor today that is about as far as they are willing to let things go.

Baby is still breech and both my regular OB and the specialist are not thinking that that will be changing. They won't consider an external cephalic version (where the doctor manually tries to turn baby) on me for several reasons and I'm okay with that. In an ideal candidate it is only about 50% effective and isn't without its own set of risks...not to mention I have heard it is very painful. This means that we are expecting a C-section to be scheduled.  I'm still struggling a little bit with this but I know that this is what is looking to be the best thing for the baby. I was already at an increased risk of needing a C-section even if she weren't breech due to the growth restriction and in talking with others an emergency C-section is terrible and having it scheduled lends itself to a much smoother recovery.

I'm up about 26 pounds and I'm starting to feel pretty uncomfortable. I've started experiencing Braxton Hicks. At first I didn't realize that is what was happening because they were so infrequent and not painful. They're occurring more often now and they are a little irritating. I haven't been sleeping well for awhile now but the last week it has been much worse. A couple hours at a time and I can't always go back to sleep so I'm relying on naps. When Kevin is home I have him help me with things like sitting up, getting off the couch, donning and doffing my socks, etc. It's not that I can't do these things...it is just much easier if I have a little assistance.  
Snuggling to keep warm so we can keep the heat low for a bit longer!

Now that I know the nausea I've had is from heartburn I've managed to avoid vomiting with the help of my new best friend Tums. If I ever get that sudden wave of nausea then I pop one in and I almost immediately feel better. We went to the pool on Sunday (I was attempting to turn the baby by doing a few somersaults... I heard it can work so we thought we'd give it a shot). It wasn't until walking out of the pool that I realized how heavy I feel. We're going to go back this weekend so I can enjoy a little time with the weight off. I probably wont be doing anymore turns but just sitting and walking in the water feels incredible.

Other weekend plans include watching Stanford and K-State football of course!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Uncle Dale and Aunt Sandy said...

You are an amazing woman to continue to have patience AND a sense of humor. We are grateful you have made it to 35 weeks and we are continue to pray.