This month we started Anna soccer! I have to admit I've been pretty excited about getting the girls into sports activities.
I had origianally looked into a Me and Mini Me soccer through Olathe but the session that worked with our schedules was already full when I went to sign up. That's when I found Tot Soccer offered through Lenexa. It sounded really cute. A 25 minute practice followed by a 3 vs 3 "game". We were really excited about it but our first day did not go that well.
Anna woke up grumpy (she was at the start of a cold) and basically screamed the entire way there. She refused to participate in the practice and there was a great deal of crying but didn't want to just leave. While we didn't force her to kick the ball or anything we made her sit with me on the field so she was still part of the team. She had just begun to calm down when they started picking up the cones so they could prepare for the game and she lost it because she didn't want to be done with soccer (You have to love the logic of toddlers). I took her for a walk and she pulled herself together. When we got back to the field there were orange slices for the kids and this turned everything around for her.
After licking her orange slice and laughing a bunch Anna was ready to play! She subbed in and it became very clear that she had no idea what was going on. We'd yell for her to run toward the ball and she would run past the goal for the balls behind the net.
Grandpa, Uncle Scott, Uncle James, and Aunt Michelle all wanted to come for Anna's first game. We gave them fair warning that we didn't know what to expect but they insisted on coming. I thought it was so sweet they wanted to be there.
Anna's team is called the Blue Cobra's. There are a couple kids who have an idea of what is going on but most of the kids are somewhat clueless too.
| Go Blue Cobras! |
Another orange slice at half time!
It was nice having another person taking pictures. Thanks Michelle.
Jane was also very grumpy that morning (it was very cold and she refused to wear her hat and gloves) but she did want to cuddle with Grandpa.
After the game we walked over to the playground for a bit.
Took an opportunity to get a selfie.
Jane didn't want to do anything at the park until right before it was time to leave. Go figure.
Since everyone had made the drive in we decided to grab brunch at a nearby restaurant called Le Peep. This was a big hit and has now become a tradition.
We've had 3 games so far and we think that it is safe to say Anna is not that into soccer right now. She likes the shin guards, the oranges, playing at the playground after the game, and going out to eat at Le Peep. Although she's doing better and actually participating in the practices she just is not that aggressive and doesn't seem to care that much about going after the ball. I really wish we had done the Mini Me soccer instead. I think she would have gotten more out of it but we are still having fun. Overall it has been a positive experience I think and hopefully next year we can try a different class if she seems interested. Until then, 5 more games left....

No comments:
Post a Comment