Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Gingerbread Houses

This weekend we got together with friends to make gingerbread houses and play games on the Wii. It made for a fun get together and it was nice seeing friends that we hadn't seen since well before Christmas.

Moria and Sarah working on the gingerbread.

The guys didn't really start participating until the decorating portion. Before that they watched the Eagles lose (Sorry Brian....that's his team)
At first Kevin and I were working on a house together. At one point I had to kick him off the project for attempting a chimney that not only looked terrible, but was going to cause the roof to cave in. At that point he went and helped Colin with his house. Luckily he didn't try anything funny with that house and theirs turned out really well :)
Here's our final house though. Kevin did almost half the work on it so he still gets credit.
Here are our finished projects. Some of the gingerbread pieces weren't the right size and our construction was a bit shoddy. Hence the massive amounts of icing attempting to hold them together. I think they still turned out okay.
After we were done with the decorating, we started playing a few games. A little after that we heard Sarah gasp and when we looked over at the houses this is what we saw. Apparently, the weight of the candy could not be supported and it Brian and Moria's house came crashing down. Either that or we experienced a minor aftershock from the earthquake last week.

Quick story about the earthquake. The epicenter was about 11 miles away from us in Milpitas. It was only a 4.1 magnitude which basically means that it was light and that while there is noticeable shaking of items indoors and rattling noises...there isn't any significant damage. I was sitting at the desk and Kevin was in the other room. We heard a strange noise and the apartment creaked and it felt and sounded kind of weird. Kevin said.."I think that was an earthquake." I replied..."yeah right, it was probably just a truck passing by". We often get a bit of noise and such from passing trucks and Cal train. It wasn't until I got a text from my friend Heather in Kansas that we actually found out there had been an earthquake. Obviously it wasn't that scary and the best kind of earthquake to have if you have to have one!

No comments: