Saturday, May 7, 2011

Yosemite

It only took two years but we finally made it back to Yosemite. Sarah and Jonathan had never been and with only a couple months left on the West Coast we thought they had better get that crossed off of their list.

We headed up Friday night and after a little drama with a pair of squatters who had staked claim over of our campsite we finally were able to get settled. (The story is pretty funny so just ask us when you see us and we'd be happy to share)

We woke up Saturday and then headed towards the valley to start our hike. We stopped along the highway and took a few photos with Bridalveil Fall in the background.

We kept driving and eventually stopped to go and check out Bridalveil. On the short walk to the fall we saw this random sight. Apparently it was for Esquire magazine (I might have to flip through it in the grocery store lines for a few months to see what exactly they are using it for). Kevin asked to take a picture with the giant clock. The picture is on Sarah's camera but I will definitely be getting it from her.
The fall was really coming down so we didn't spend much time there. All of our rain jackets were still in the car and we didn't feel like getting completely soaked that early in the day.

Bridalveil Fall


View of El Capitan on the way back to our car.

Even though Kevin and I did the Mist Trail on our last trip we thought that would be a good hike to take Sarah and Jonathan on. I enjoyed it just
as much this time as last time. The falls were all bigger than last time. (I think there was more snow this year)

Vernal Fall can be seen in from the Happy Isles footbridge.

Another view of Vernal Fall on the way up Mist Trail.

Vernal Fall with a beautiful rainbow!


Top of Vernal Fall.

We ate lunch up by Vernal Fall before heading on toward Nevada Fall. Kevin found a rock and couldn't help himself.

It wasn't much further to this fantastic view of Nevada Fall. I was really wanting to to keep going and make it to the top of the fall but I wasn't sure how motivated Sarah and Jonathan were feeling that day. We ended up continuing on and I was very excited since we didn't do it last time.
On the way to the top. If you were ever feeling tired you just had to look behind you and take in the view and remember why you started up in the first place.

We made it! Incredible scenery and a little less crowded than the top of Vernal Fall.

This was well worth the climb.

Kevin wanted to get a picture so you could see Nevada Fall and me. Right after this my water bottle (which was caught on the railing) fell to its end. I watched it fall and heard a 'tink' as it hit the side of the mountain and then disappeared into the mist. A little sad to lose the water bottle but it was free from work so I managed to get over it pretty quickly. At least it wasn't my camera!


Sarah and Kevin with Liberty Cap in the background.

From Right to Left: Liberty Cap, Mount Broderick, and Half Dome. Half Dome is what I want to conquer next.


Nevada Fall from the John Muir Trail.

Nevada Fall with Liberty Cap and Mount Broderick in sight.
We wanted to head back down via the John Muir trail to avoid the crowds on Mist Trail. The trail was still officially closed for winter but we kept seeing people continuing on (including a couple with a baby strapped to the mom's chest) so we decided to go too. Apparently that litmus test isn't a very good one. There were a few parts of the trail that weren't quite ready for people. We weren't in any real danger ever but you had to be careful not to slip on ice in a few sections. I couldn't imagine trying to take a baby on that trail.

View from the John Muir Trail.

Taking this trail added a little distance to the return trip but I think we all agreed it was worth it. A change of scenery and fewer people made it much more enjoyable.

After heading back to the campsite we got ready to celebrate Kevin's birthday since it was the next day. We grilled steaks and veggies over the campfire and it was particularly delicious after a long day of hiking.

Kevin requested carrot cake and at one point it looked fantastic. Then it was left in the car while we were at work on Friday and the frosting melted. We tried to spread it out before lighting the candles but it just began looking worse. Still tasted yummy though!

The rest of the evening we just enjoyed hanging out around the campfire and making s'mores with everyone. Jason and Brett had been rock climbing that day so we were glad to be able to catch up.
I think Sarah and Jonathan had a good time and now they have a big thing crossed off their list. It is hard to believe they'll be leaving soon...we're going to miss them!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: