Thursday, June 14, 2012

Baby update: 14 weeks

Another week complete! It feels good to be making my way further into the second trimester each day. I thought I'd use this post to sort of expand on some details from the first trimester so I guess I'll go back to the beginning....

As most of you are aware...Kevin and I have been married quite some time. Over six years so it is probably no surprise that we've been talking about starting our family for awhile. Back in California I'd seen my doctor for a "pre-prenatal" visit to sort of make sure everything was good to go. Everything was great and it was just a matter of ditching the birth control when we were ready. We were ready to start trying for a baby as soon as my monthly friend came to visit. I wasn't exactly sure when this visitor was going to be arriving since going off of the pill but I started wondering so I figured we'd take a test just to check. We stopped at Rite Aid after work and grabbed a two pack (giving us one for next month too). I scampered off to the bathroom to do my business and get that test going. I started the timer and before time was up I was seeing a positive result. What!?!? Being a laboratory professional I know that the main source of error in home pregnancy tests is people not following instructions so after calling Kevin in we re-read the instructions together and went ahead and tested again. Still positive!


We were a little shocked that we were already pregnant but extremely excited. After some blood work confirmed early pregnancy we were even more amazed. The only problem was figuring out my due date. Since things had been a little irregular we couldn't use the date of my last cycle. The doctor's office scheduled an early ultrasound and that gave us our due date of 12/12/12.

Besides adjusting to the idea that Kevin and I are going to be parents soon we've spent a lot of time figuring out what I am able to eat and in what quantities to avoid throwing up. For a little bit there Kevin was comparing my palate to that of a 5 year old since I was needing macaroni and cheese and mashed potatoes.There was also a period of time where I could not eat any meat whatsoever. Getting that protein source back into my diet was huge since it helped keep me full much longer. Frozen fruit bars have been another lifesaver and I was so happy the day Kevin brought those home from the store. Kevin has been great about all of my food aversions and I think he had a little fun trying to come up with things that I could tolerate.

The biggest change so far is how drastically I've had to change the way I eat my meals. I can rarely eat a full meal in one setting and I take forever to eat in general. My cousin Nate secretly timed me eating a cookie and I clocked in at 12 minutes. While I don't ever eat a ton at one time I have found that I have to eat approximately every 2 to 2 1/2 hours. If not I get very nauseous and will likely throw up after I finally manage to eat.

I've also had some flashbacks to my teenage years with some of the breakouts I've had. While not as bad I'm definitely struggling with my complexion now. Not being on the pill, not being able to use my old moisturizer (salicylic acid), and the new array of hormones going through my body is taking its toll! So if you see zits all over my face please try not to stare :)



Baby K is growing to the size of a naval orange this week (4.5 in, 2 to 3oz) and he/she's heart is beating strong. We have finally been able to pick up the heartbeat at home on the fetal doppler we bought after my last doctor's appointment. I don't know how accurate the readings are but it was in the 150's the other day when we used it. I still haven't put on any weight so if that really is a bump in that picture it is definitely from the baby! I think people in my yoga class think I just have a gut...but I don't really care :)

We're camping this weekend so I'll have a non-pregnancy related post soon but let's face it....since pregnancy is taking over my life it will likely be reflected in my posts!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: