Thursday, June 21, 2012

Camping at Horseshoe Lake

For our second camping trip in Michigan we decided to check out Huron National Forest. Although we've been dying to check out the UP it is a much longer drive so we thought we'd stick to someplace only a couple hours away. The campsite was advertised as primitive with vault toilets and water available. The bathrooms weren't bad at all but I was glad we brought water because it was not working. I feel like the sites could have been a little better maintained but it was nice and secluded. (only 2 of the 9 campsites were occupied).

Kevin's #1 goal in camping is building a huge fire. Considering how hot it was it was NOT necessary but he can't really help himself.

We did end up switching campsites for the second night so that we could be by one closer to the water. Kevin was really wanting to fish and it was pretty convenient being just a short walk from the lake.



We managed to find a place nearby where we could get a shower which was really nice. I love camping but I also love being clean! If we're busy hiking or doing something then I am fine with skipping it but since we were on a pretty laid back trip it felt AMAZING to be clean.

 It doesn't get dark until after 9pm here right now so we had to start the giant fire early enough so we could get dinner going.

I wanted an alternative to brats so I brought stuff to make pita pizzas on the fire. It worked really well and tasted delicious!

After eating Kevin wanted to run down to the lake one last time before dark to try and catch a fish. We don't know a lot about fishing so I was not really hopeful that we would be successful. Kevin was persistent and managed to catch a small bass! He released him back into the water but he was pretty pleased with himself!
There was a small thunderstorm that night but our tent held up great again. Besides a couple of mosquito bites it was a wonderful, relaxing trip. Hopefully we can make it up to the UP at least once before the baby is born!

1 comment:

Aunt Laura said...

Hi, Cara and Kevin. This sounds like a great trip, but I can't see the pictures. There are just little boxes. Have you thought any more about a few days at the beach? Look at Janell and Melissa's pictures. We would love to see you there!