As Kevin already posted, our Anna made her grand entrance on November 27th. We are so absolutely, completely, utterly in love with our daughter. It was such a stressful third trimester and to finally have her here safe and healthy is incredible. Time is already flying by so fast so I figured I'd better get to blogging! (I started this post days ago...it takes much longer with a baby!)
Kevin's parents were able to make the drive up and arrived the day before the surgery. We were so happy to have them there for support since we were pretty anxious about everything. We'd been moved to a later time slot so luckily I didn't have to start fasting until after midnight (instead of 8pm as it was previously) allowing us time to get dinner and catch up before attempting to get some sleep.
Finally it was time to head to the hospital but we needed one last pregnancy picture just one day shy of 38 weeks.

We arrived at the hospital at 11am and things happened quickly after that. After changing into my gown they got me started on an I.V. so they could get me pumped with fluid before the procedure. This was one of the worst parts because I got extrememly light headed and felt like I was going to pass out. They turned me on my side, had me sniff some ammonia stuff, and fanned me off until I felt better. They had me sign a bunch of papers, washed my stomach, and went over how things were going to proceed. The two hours flew by pretty quickly considering and once the doctor arrived they had Kevin get suited up before wheeling me into the operating room.
Kevin's parents were able to make the drive up and arrived the day before the surgery. We were so happy to have them there for support since we were pretty anxious about everything. We'd been moved to a later time slot so luckily I didn't have to start fasting until after midnight (instead of 8pm as it was previously) allowing us time to get dinner and catch up before attempting to get some sleep.
Finally it was time to head to the hospital but we needed one last pregnancy picture just one day shy of 38 weeks.
We arrived at the hospital at 11am and things happened quickly after that. After changing into my gown they got me started on an I.V. so they could get me pumped with fluid before the procedure. This was one of the worst parts because I got extrememly light headed and felt like I was going to pass out. They turned me on my side, had me sniff some ammonia stuff, and fanned me off until I felt better. They had me sign a bunch of papers, washed my stomach, and went over how things were going to proceed. The two hours flew by pretty quickly considering and once the doctor arrived they had Kevin get suited up before wheeling me into the operating room.
Kevin had to wait outside the doors while I was receiving the spinal. It took him a little bit to get the needle in the right spot (felt like forever because everyone was really really quiet the entire time)and while it was not pleasant it wasn't horrible. The anxiety was worse than anything. Once the meds had been administered I immediately felt first my right leg going numb followed by everything else from the waist down. Then things really got going Everyone was moving quickly...putting in the catheter, prepping my stomach with iodine, marking the incision area, and probably many other things as well. Kevin was finally allowed back and I was extremely happy to see him (I think he was just as happy to see me too).
At one point I got really nauseous. When I told the anesthesiologist tech he got me a basin to vomit in and he told me he'd give me something as soon as they got the baby out. Only problem, every time I heaved my uterus contracted and my doctor had to stop. I ended up getting something and I immediately felt better so things could go on. Kevin was brave and actually watched the doctor pulling Anna out. Shortly afterward we got to hear her cry. Beautiful sweet music to our ears. Kevin was then back and forth between me and the baby telling me about her full head of hair and how beautiful she was. Finally they brought her over to me and we got to be together as a family for the first time. We only had a little bit before they had to go and take her to the nursery and Kevin went with her. It felt like forever before they were done stitching me back up. Finally it was time to wheel me back to my room so that I could hold our little girl for the first time.
We had some time together before a nurse came in and reminded us that Kevin and Patti were waiting to hear how things went. Things had been so crazy we'd completely forgotten! Shortly thereafter they were able to come back and see and hold Anna for the first time.
| Proud Daddy! |
One of my many favorites.
The next day was discharge day! I had to have my staples removed, sign paperwork, and final visits from the doctors. We were excited to finally get to bring Anna home!
Kevin and Patti had been busy the last few days stocking our fridge, cooking for us, fixing a few things around our place, and getting ready for us to bring Anna home. It was so wonderful having them there and helping us make the day special.
I have many many more pictures...including those with Grandpa Kevin and Grandma Patti. I decided to make a separate post with other pictures along with details of our first week at home. Hopefully I can get to that soon...probably with less detail than this post.
We are thrilled with how well everything worked out. It's such relief to have her here safe and healthy. The doctor was really happy that she got her out when she did. I had very little amniotic fluid left making it difficult to make the incision leading to a small nick on Anna's hip from the scalpel. The cut is already healed and not noticeable.
Thanks again for all your thoughts, prayers, and well wishes over the last few months. It has been difficult but we couldn't have asked for a better outcome. We love our little Anna Rae!

1 comment:
Thanks for sharing Anna's birth story. We are grateful that the three of you are home and that she is doing so well. AND that both of you are doing well too.
Post a Comment