Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Jane: 6 Months!

Jane turned 6 months old a week ago! I took the pictures on time this month (a day early even) but I wanted to wait for her appointment before posting this. 


Little Miss is doing great. Here are her stats for you.
Weight: 17 pounds 13 ounces (75%)
Height: 25.6 inches (32.6 %)*
Head Cir: 17.8 inches (98%)
*We do not think this is an accurate measurement. She's too long for many clothes that Anna was wearing later on and she measured the same at her 6 month appointment. We plan to try and measure her ourselves. I know that it doesn't really matter but the record keeper in me is really annoyed by all the inconsistencies and the way they round percentages!

Before I get to all the fun exciting things Jane has done this month I want to cover the unpleasant stuff. Sleep. It sucks. Jane's sleeping has slowly been getting worse over the last few months but this last one takes the cake. There are many contributing factors which I'll cover momentarily but it doesn't mean it hasn't been pleasant. For about 2 weeks Jane slept in the swing which helped a lot as long as I woke up to keep the swing going before the 4 hour timer caused the swing to stop moving. While the longer stretches of sleep in the swing were nice it isn't the magic answer. Getting her to sleep in the first place in it was very challenging and then getting her back in if she did wake to nurse was tough too. 


Another struggle has been naps. It has been increasingly difficult to soothe her to sleep and then if you do manage to get her to sleep it is the whole 'staying asleep once in the crib' deal that is difficult. She'll do great in the car seat, the swing, or while nursing but none of these are great for long term. We have a game plan for helping to improve things but we are going to wait until after the holidays when we are back in a more normal routine. Wish us luck!


Now for the fun stuff! Despite the fact she isn't sleeping great Jane is the happiest baby I've ever seen. She has so many different smiles and expressions and it is pretty easy to get her to squeal in delight and laugh. Warms my heart every single time. 
One of my favorite pictures this month
 The day after turning 5 months old Jane finally rolled from back to tummy and immediately started showing interest in sitting up. She's been sitting unassisted pretty well for a few weeks now (although she still falls sometimes and doesn't know how to fall yet). 

Jane has also cut her two bottom teeth this last month which is a major contributing factor in the sleep stuff. Once she got the second tooth she completely rejected the pacifier which has been rough. We used it heavily and soothing her without it has taken some major adjustments on our part. I know that we'll eventually be happy she self weaned from it but I can't really think about that when she's screaming at me. 
  

Jane has also started solids if you recall my post about that. She's doing better and better with it and will lean in for things she likes: carrots and bananas! This little lady is also getting more and more grabby. She wants stuff....anything you have or anything close to her. It is leading to some conflict with Anna since Jane now wants her things if they get within sight but that was bound to happen eventually. :)


The world is coming alive for this cutie and we love her so much. The way she looks at you and smiles is incredible. We're so lucky to have her in our lives and I can't believe it's been 6 months since she came into our lives.

No comments: