It can sometimes be tough to find things to do on Friday's with the girls so when I saw that there was a fun event in Topeka I decided to drive in. The Topeka Performing Arts Center was holding their annual Gingerbread Homes for the Holidays fundraiser and I thought the girls might enjoy it.
I was a little surprised at how few gingerbread houses there were on display (although some of them were really cool). I thought I had gone to this in college or earlier and remembered it being a little more impressive. The girls were only mildly enthused about it but it was for arts education so at least the money went for something important.
While we were waiting for our turn to go in and make our own gingerbread houses they had a Santa Claus. Anna and Jane were both excited about seeing Santa but when it came to going up to talk to him Jane wanted absolutely nothing to do with him
I did get a pretty cute picture of Anna though!
Even though the first part of the event was a little lackluster, the girls loved making their own gingerbread houses. I had to help a lot with the initial construction but once the houses were standing Anna and Jane did a great job decorating.
Since we'd made the trip into Topeka we stopped by my Mom and Dad's afterwards and the girls had fun playing with their cousins.
This is random but I wanted it posted. Last year Anna received a Lite-Brite for Christmas and she's really enjoyed it. When we first started playing with it she needed a lot of help finding the pieces to match the patterns. Over the summer she started being able to do it mainly by herself. We would encourage her to make her own picture rather than using the patterns but she wanted nothing to do with that. Then one day she had it out and said "I want to make my own picture". We love it because it is just like these little people that Anna has been drawing this past year.
She was pretty proud of herself and we were pretty excited about it too.
No comments:
Post a Comment